Friday 13 July 2012

Peggy Lady


 

 Every now and then I like to make the effort to do something special with each child on their own.  Our little girl in particular relishes being the centre of attention but rarely gets such luxury being the middle child.


 Last weekend however we had a special day and went to a Peg Doll making workshop at Olivia Dell's house.  We had such a lovely time, quietly sitting in Olivia's studio, rummaging through her fabrics and threads to find just the right thing to add to our mini people.  What was so amazing was the way the pegs 'told' you who they wanted to be.  Olivia had said we should start with the face because only then do you know who you are making and it was so true.  I really wanted to make a beatific, whimsical fairy for the top of our Christmas tree but that was not to be. 


When I added her hair she turned more Paula Yates than - an angel fallen from grace!  And I loved my Rumanian Princess,  I found the twisted thread for her hair and was going to chop it off once the glue had dried and then realised that it was beautiful and made her character come alive.  Meanwhile my little girl was busy making her wedding lady and then her extremely glamorous shepherd lady with her very own sheep.  You really could have hours of fun doing this, but unfortunately our afternoon came to an end and we had to take our new friends home.

1 comment:

  1. This brings back such great memories! When I was a little girl, I spent HOURS and hours and hours making clothes peg dolls. And the advice about letting them tell you who they want to be rings so very true; I never knew who I was making until I got started and then the doll's personality just took over and dictated the rest. I still have them all, thanks to my mum's refusal to toss them. I am so glad she didn't!

    What a wonderful day for you and your daughter-- and what lovely dolls! Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete