Thursday 24 March 2011

All in a days work


A while ago I was given an old piece of embroidery. I love the bright, bold flowers but wasn't sure what to do with the fabric. I had in mind to make it into a cushion but wasn't really sure where it would fit into the house. That was until the sun started shining and I realised that the best place for my cushion was outdoors on a garden chair. My next problem was a lack of garden chairs. I knew exactly what I wanted to create and outdoorsy, shabby chic look so started looking for old Lloyd Loom chairs on the internet. I soon realised I wasn't going to find what I wanted as cheaply and easily as I originally thought.

However everything came together today. Following a morning stroll with a friend, dogs and our baby girls we went for a coffee in a pub garden, where I spied 2 old wicker chairs waiting to be chucked. Ok the bottoms are going but they will last this summer so, after a quick word with the landlord, we loaded them into the back of the car and took one each. The other chair was nicer but too big for the spot of garden sun I wanted it for. I took the smaller chair promptly gave it a white wash with some watered down paint, despite expecting friends to turn up for lunch in the next 10 mins. As soon as the friends had gone I rushed to rummage through my fabric cupboard for the embroidery. A few whizzes of the sewing machine, the cushion was made and my vision was realised.

Now I just need that idyllic moment, lazing in the summer sun with a cup of tea or a glass of wine, just 5 minutes will do, please.

4 comments:

  1. Great makeover, both chair and cushion. Hopefully you might be able to make use of it this weekend if the sun stays out.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neighbour below25 March 2011 at 12:16

    Snuck a quick peep this morning whilst passing with the dog, looks great. The paint looks like its always been there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect for enjoying a delicious bacon sandwich and a lovely cup of proper coffee on a sunny Spring morning! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. rather lovely mrs p - anyone would think you had been on a cushion making course............

    ReplyDelete