Thursday 4 February 2010

lovely things for lovely people

the last month or two have been fraught with printing nightmares for me, and there have been numerous occassions where i have thought 'this is not worth it'.
It's only really been the amazing support from family and friends that has spurred me on enough to keep going in the face of everything going wrong.
anyway I have had to let alot of people down with orders due to our printers shutting up shop, one lady has been living in a caravan while her house is being built, and as with all new builds things have gone wrong and taken longer so she and her family have spent this ghastly winter in a caravan.
Anyway, i think anyone who runs their own creative business will understand me when I say that its personal, customers matter, so I kept thinking about Lara in her caravan, she had ordered chinoiserie fabric for her dream bedroom curtains, (and she will have those curtains come hell or high water!) so I made her a cushion to keep her going while her fabric is being made, hopefully a little bit of lovely will keep her going!!
For anyone who wants to know how i did the emboidery, I have an ancient bernina sewing machine - it must be 40 yrs old, and i use a free stitch foot with the teeth dropped and just basically draw with the needle, it takes practice and it also takes a long time to get a solid shape, but i don't think you can replicate this look with a computerised machine - and I have tried!

10 comments:

  1. wow, that embroidery is great! a gorgeous pattern too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the very kind comments ladies, i don't think anyine has ever descibed anything i have made as 'breathtaking', so i am off to bed smiling and feeling very flattered!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah - how so very thoughtful of you to make such a stunning cushion for Lara. It is very special indeed, and I agree it is breathtaking. How clever of you!! Hope your printing problems are all sorted, but I am sure your customers would be very understanding. Have a lovely day - Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god, that is beyond beautiful. How wonderful and what a lovely gift to give someone. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mrs. H you are a marvel! That cushion is absolutely lovely!!
    Am deeply in awe! Kathxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cushion is gorgeous Sarah, and how sweet of you to make it! Chin up my lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's beautiful, so pretty and there are no end to your talents! Well done for turning something around like that. I would wait for fabric for a long time for a cushion like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely sweet girl you are! This is the best thing I have read today.

    Really made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete